THREE CATTLE FROM SAME HERD AS BSE-INFECTED COW HAVE ENTERED FOOD CHAIN
Three cattle from same herd as BSE-infected cow have entered food chain Thursday 21 May 2009
The Agency has been informed that meat from three cows reared in the same herd as one that later developed BSE has entered the human food chain. Meat from the cow that had developed BSE did not enter the food chain.
Any possible risk to public health is negligible, as all three cows tested negative for BSE and specified risk material (SRM) was removed. SRM is the parts of the carcass most at risk of carrying BSE infectivity.
EU rules require that cattle born or reared in the same herd as a BSE case and which may have eaten the same feed as the BSE case during their first year of life (known as cohorts) should be killed and the carcass destroyed.
This rule is intended primarily to help eradicate BSE but also provides further protection to consumers in addition to the SRM controls and BSE testing.
The Agency has advised that voluntarily-retained meat and meat products that included material from the cohort carcasses must be withdrawn from the distribution chain and destroyed.
One of the cohort carcasses was exported to the Republic of Ireland. Skirt, cheek and tongue from another of the cohorts were exported as part of a large consignment to France. The authorities in both countries have been informed.
However, tracing carried out by the Food Standards Agency indicates that most of the meat is likely to have been consumed
>>> All of the 15 cattle tested showed that the brains had abnormally accumulated prion protein. <<<
Saturday, February 28, 2009
NEW RESULTS ON IDIOPATHIC BRAINSTEM NEURONAL CHROMATOLYSIS "All of the 15 cattle tested showed that the brains had abnormally accumulated PrP" 2009 SEAC 102/2
''THE LINE TO TAKE'' ON IBNC $$$ 1995 $$$
page 9 of 14 ;
30. The Committee noted that the results were unusual. the questioned whether there could be coincidental BSE infection or contamination with scrapie. Dr. Tyrell noted that the feeling of the committee was that this did not represent a new agent but it was important to be prepared to say something publicly about these findings. A suggested line to take was that these were scientifically unpublishable results but in line with the policy of openness they would be made publicly available and further work done to test their validity. Since the BSE precautions were applied to IBNC cases, human health was protected. Further investigations should be carried out on isolations from brains of IBNC cases with removal of the brain and subsequent handling under strict conditions to avoid the risk of any contamination.
31. Mr. Bradley informed the Committee that the CVO had informed the CMO about the IBNC results and the transmission from retina and he, like the Committee was satisfied that the controls already in place or proposed were adequate. ...
snip... see full text
LINE TO TAKE
18. There is nothing to add to CMO's statement in January 1994, in relation to both the safety of meat and to the diagnosis in the 16 year old girl.
IMPORTANT - CONFIDENTIAL
LINE TO TAKE
CJD FOURTH FARMER LINE TO TAKE, preparing for media storm ;
LINE TO TAKE ;
CJD IN YOUNG PEOPLE
* in the USA, a 16 year old in 1978
* in France, a 19 year old in 1982
* in Canada, a 14 year old of UK origin in 1988
* in Poland, cases in people aged 19, 23 and 27 were identified in a retrospective study (published 1991), having been originally misdiagnosed with a viral encephalitis;
************* Creutzfeldt's first patient in 1920 was aged 23
snip... see full text ;
Sunday, April 12, 2009
BSE MAD COW TESTING USA 2009 FIGURES
Sunday, May 10, 2009
Identification and characterization of bovine spongiform encephalopathy cases diagnosed and NOT diagnosed in the United States
Saturday, May 16, 2009
BSE CASE CONFIRMED IN ALBERTA OTTAWA, May 15, 2009